Friday, September 21, 2012

Trinket Boxes

I wanted to start out small with my chip carving using simple designs. These two boxes are from a craft store. Some of the boxes have open grain and soft wood making it hard to carve sharp edges. I don't know what kind of wood this is but I like the brown stripes. The first trinket box is 2 1/2 inches by 2 inches. I carved a 7 point rosette on the top. The second trinket box I also carved a 7 point rosette on the top. It is 3 1/2 inch by 2 1/4 inch and 2 1/4 inch tall. On all the sides I carved a double border of positive diamond with wedge cuts. It is drawn in with 4 mm squares. A fellow carver gave me this hint on holding your chip knife at the correct angle. He cut a 50 degree angle on a small piece of 3/8 inch wood so you can lay it against the blade of your knife.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment